Sam Goldsmith

A blog about music, travel, writing, photography, politics, Istanbul, teaching, life, and everything in between

Friday, December 31, 2010

Happy New Year Postponed

In America, the New Year is at a very strategic place, namely half-way through the school year. That means there's been a little bit of relaxing vacation time, and therefore time to think about the great and not-so-great events of the past year and our grand hopes for the year to come. New Years Resolutions abound, self-reflection ensues, followed by a strange mixture of optimism and fear.

We don't get that here in Istanbul. I worked today, New Year's Eve, and it turns out people work tomorrow too. In fact, we don't have a semester vacation until the very end of January. We're still right in the thick of things, making it a little harder to find a clear mind and enough time for some serious heavy-duty reflection.

When we in the English department exchanged gifts, we each shared a one word wish for 2011 (someone had already chosen peace and health, so I, put on the spot, went with "fun"*). Many people chose health or wealth, making me wonder if their Turkish connotations are similar.

Anyway, if you have a moment to add a comment, please be so kind as to share a one word New Year's wish with my other readers. I'm curious to know what you all want. And while we're at it, think of a one-word New Year's Resolution as well - mine's "patience." Thanks!

I should say before I sign off, when I say I "worked" today, I use the word in the loosest sense. Today was a half day, and there were no lessons, just a dance party, a raffle, and a concert. All I had to do was watch and mull over how dumb it was to forget my camera (I'm going to borrow some photos another teacher took, so hold your horses folks). Plus it was casual day, so everyone dressed in jeans - but it was announced in Turkish so I came dressed as always, suit and tie. I wore the shirt my "secret Santa" gave me, but later untucked it and yanked the tie off to fit in more with the other casually-dressed teachers. Some of my students took the initiative to dress sloppily, while others, largely the girls, wore the jewelery and dazzling clothing they'd always wanted to. Having to wear a uniform to school each day must be a real drag.

I can't believe I forgot my camera.

*P.S. I think it's definitely a symptom of my generation to rate "fun" so high on the priority list. Sometimes I think it's strange that we live in a world where one of the worst things to be is bored. It's even strange to me that boredom exists at all; it's not natural.

2 comments:

  1. My one word for the new year would be "hope". 2010 seemed so dismal. Let's work toward a better year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh... patience. Good one. My wish is for "adventure," my resolution is for... I guess I can't put any of it into one word yet.

    ReplyDelete

Comments