Sam Goldsmith

A blog about music, travel, writing, photography, politics, Istanbul, teaching, life, and everything in between

Monday, December 6, 2010

Cookbook



The other day I bought a cookbook written completely in Turkish. I thought, for some reason, that I had the vocabulary to be able to read the recipes, though I guess I should have known from how cluelessly I still act in the grocery stores that it would be a challenge. Instead, with the help of Google Translator, I've been using the book to teach me a few nifty new words. I've almost worked myself up to being brave enough to try a recipe!

Google Translator's interpretation of Gönül Candaş's recipe for kadın budu köfte (woman's thigh meatballs... It was too weird a title to ignore!), plus my translations for most of the ingredients:


Woman’s Thigh Meatballs
750 grams of (lean) ground beef
2 onions
3 table spoons of rice
3 eggs (1 used in the dough balls, meatballs, 2 of them used for toasting)
Half a bunch of parseley
1 cup of sunflower or olive oil
3-4 tablespoons of breadcrumbs/flour
Salt and black pepper

1) Rice extract is washed. A cup of hot water is boiled and water çektirilir thrown.
2) Lean ground beef with half the grated onion roasted and ground. Involved in raw meat.
3) However, boiled rice, chopped parsley, green flat oval and made meatballs.
4) Separated from the egg-sized pieces, flat oval and made meatballs.
5) First, bread flour, then beaten with a fork dipped in egg and fried in hot oil.

Fact: Oil is too high to keep the hot oven, or a team will cause the occurrence of toxic and irritating substances. Therefore, less oil in a pan, fry oil burning is wrong to do. Frying, deep in a container, in the form of abundant oil and the oil should be almost boiling.


Speaking of Google Translator and disregarding its effectiveness as a translation program, I should say that I've had a couple of conversations through it. Most recently when I was trying to resolve a problem with my internet and the man at TTNet had no idea what I was saying.

Isn't it amazing how the Internet connects us even when we're in the same room as each other?

Bonus for everyone who listened to Old Liar from my MySpace page: the English lyrics translated into Turkish, then back again!


Just told me a thing or two to make people laugh.
Even if I did not feel this was not true in life.
I left my mind like a busy schedule.
Like I said everything right all the liars.
But only 21, already an old'm not a liar.

I said: I love you like a storm came without a warning.

Keep your dream and live a lie and a lie.
Dismiss the feelings buried inside.
Keep telling myself that I know this is not true
I've convinced myself that the immune
But a lie is that very slowly indeed.
Just keep saying that these are lies, such as breathing.
Leave your passion when you kiss your neck out
And I can tell you're the best.
But now you're 24 and feel less like a liar
The old lie.
If you set fire my soul!

I love you like a storm came without a warning.
I love you like a wounded soldier loves a war.
In fact, my core reached without a warrant.
I love you like a storm came without a warning.

I love you like a storm came without a warning.

I think this speaks for the quality of Google's translations. My favorites are: "Just keep saying that these are lies, such as breathing," and "I love you like a wounded soldier loves a war." Wrong!

You should see what comes out for "Silent Stairs" after going in and out of Italian.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments