Sam Goldsmith

A blog about music, travel, writing, photography, politics, Istanbul, teaching, life, and everything in between

Sunday, December 26, 2010

Holiday Season



Besides the horribly long parents meetings I've been in all week and the illness that the stress has been bringing on me, this week has been fairly good, especially the weekend. Namely I got to do some major-league celebrating.

On Friday Hazal came over and we made potato pancakes, just as we were supposed to before the snow ruined our plans. Unfortunately I have no pictures, but we lit a candle and I sang a prayer and we ate. Plus I think I got her to fall in love with my cat, which I hope her to do more of because then maybe she can keep him after I leave. I'm only about 75% kidding here. We were both very tired and spent most of the time listening to music.


Taksim dressed up for the holidays (I've found that many Turkish people don't know the difference between Christmas and New Years)

Then on Christmas Day, Can's mother was celebrating the opening of her new acupuncture clinic, so I went into the city to Kadıköy to celebrate with them. I was supposed to stay the night, but I'm feeling a little too under the weather. I got to meet his father, who's in the military, and congratulate his mother on the opening. It looks nice - apparently Can and his sister have been fixing the place up all week, which would explain why Can was so tired. We both went to bed earlier than planned that night.


Can and Damla on one of the patient beds

Every time I see the Bosporus I feel like I've made a good decision to live here, my only regret being that I can't be closer to it more often. Today as I made my way to the ferry from Taksim, I was actually giddy with excitement, peering around the corners of the side streets in search of the body of water. Here was my first look:



It was, sadly, a little disappointing - it was grayer than I remembered, and a little smaller as well. It's that time of year, I suppose, when the blue fades from the water and a winter haze sets in over the city. When the Bosporus is gray, it feels like all of Istanbul has lost its color.


Seagulls followed the ferry as it made its way from Beşiktaş to Kadıköy

But stepping onto the ferry and boating alongside Dolmabahçe Palace, being actually on the Bosporus, the beauty floated back in with the orange glow of the sunset.

2 comments:

  1. Sam I'm glad to hear that your Christmas/Hanukkah/Turkish New Year has been Merry. I hope your life goes back to normal now that parents meetings are over. Mine hasn't yet, but I'm sure one of these weeks will be normal again soon!
    Are you still thinking of going to Kapadokkia in February? We have a new wonderful American teammate, and are chatting about holiday possibilities. Let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still want to go to Kapadokkia in February, but I doubt it's going to happen. Now we're looking at Izmir and the surrounding areas - namely Effes and Selçuk. I've heard Kapadokkia is going to be frigid, and all the best things to do are outdoors. Good luck with the end of your veli toplantesi of doom! I'm still recovering.

    Oh, and I think I lost your email address, and now that I'm not on facebook I kinda need it again... samgoldsmithvibes@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Comments