Sam Goldsmith

A blog about music, travel, writing, photography, politics, Istanbul, teaching, life, and everything in between

Saturday, December 4, 2010

Hanukkah Thoughts

Happy Hanukkah, everyone! The holiday came by early this year, and I'm... well, not so ashamed to say that I forgot about it completely. It's not like it's a very important holiday, even for Jews (you can bet your car that I'm keeping Passover, though). And even important holidays I'm used to, like Thanksgiving, have passed by quite a bit differently in this country. Even Thanksgiving, one of my favorite holidays, was postponed, and when I did celebrate it, it wasn't the family affair I remembered it being back in the States.

The important holidays here are the Bayrams, some religious and some otherwise. While I didn't do any of the religious sacrifices associated with Kurban Bayram, I celebrated the hell out of it, and I did commemorate Istanbul's Independence on an October Wednesday - by going out for dinner and a drink with my coworkers.

If I were a different person, I would bring my traditions to the foreign country I live in and introduce them to my friends, throw a Hanukkah party here in the apartment and spin dreidels for chocolates and teach myself how to make potato latkes (I've heard they're not hard). I still might do these things, but I personally find it difficult to celebrate a holiday in solitude. I won't remember it on my own; holidays exist for family. And when everyone around me sees the unimportance of it all, it's harder and harder for me to contradict them. I'm a horrible Jew, even though I'm a good nomad.

And this goes against all the discomfort I personally feel about the "organized" part of organized religion. How come I need people around me to feel the power of a holiday but feel slightly nauseous whenever I step into a service? I mean, I can answer both these questions, but that's a little contradictory, don't you think?

Does this mean I'm feeling alone out here?

Hm.

Perhaps.

I'm going to start organizing that Hanukkah party now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments