Sam Goldsmith

A blog about music, travel, writing, photography, politics, Istanbul, teaching, life, and everything in between

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

End Of The Veli Toplantesi Of Doom

My body and mind are ravaged, but I've managed to make it through in one piece. I have met with most of the parents of my 190-some students. I have accomplished something.

Today at lunchtime there was a dance competition between the troupes of the 3rd-5th grades. I love seeing my students in different settings, as with the basketball players, because it helps me to understand what helps them learn and what excites them about life. Today I was thrilled by how my fourth graders danced. There were two groups, one girls and one boys, and when the boys danced I recognized the song I heard played every time I come into their classroom, "Beggin'" as performed by Madcon. They kicked a$$. One of them was a natural breakdancer. After the performances the class teacher gave each of them a big kiss of each cheek. It was really a lot of fun!

Right after lunch I had my fourth graders, and we basically talked about dancing the whole time. They'd earned a period to calm down after performing so well. They told me they had made the finals, so soon enough I'll get to see them compete against my 6th graders. Best of luck to all of them!

1 comment:

  1. Congrats. I'm down to two more full days of crazy exhusting work then a much earned break.
    Your school sounds wonderful. An effort to teach mind and body is Noble. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete

Comments