Sam Goldsmith

A blog about music, travel, writing, photography, politics, Istanbul, teaching, life, and everything in between

Thursday, September 3, 2009

Welcome Back

Ciao, Tutti!

Hello. How are you? Well, enough not talking about myself.

I arrived in New York City today at 5:00 on the money, to no fanfare. There was a cute girl next to me on the plane, who I valiantly ignored (she took the middle seat! It was supposed to be so, so empty...). Plus there was a girl I could swear is from my high school across the aisle. So, naturally, I didn't say anything to her, either.

I have realized, even in this short half-day (not even) here in the city that I will always harbor a deep-seeded hatred for this place. It's unavoidable at this point. You see, there's no reason that I should start feeling lonely while taxiing in the runway. It's a triggered reaction. Ring a bell and I salivate. Send me to New York and I get lonely.

But, here I am, not wanting to talk with anyone or do anything other than unpack and sleep. Maybe this mentality will change once I've had a chance to rest off the flight. However, how can I explain this feeling that, as I watch the throngs of cheery pedestrians crowd the streets, some holding hands, some touching lips, some in schools like minnows, some in packs like wolves, that spending time with people is an incredible waste of a limited resource?

Speaking of wasting time, you might want to re-read that sentence again. It didn't even make sense to me.

Aurora said in her blog that we should get over the awkwardness and adjustment period as quickly as possible, since it's so annoying. Well, I couldn't agree more, except that I'm a little worried about what happens once I've adjusted.

My air conditioner plays a consistent high F note at a consistent interval in a very specific timbre. It happens to be the exact same as the song I wrote, "Not A Love Song," which happens to be my ringtone. So I always think my phone is ringing.

There's no room in this dorm for a vibraphone. Whatever shall I do?

I still haven't met my roommate. I've met just about everyone else on this floor, though. Maybe the whole year will be like this. ...Nah...

In the future, look for these new updates: a new story draft, possibly an improved version of "My Own Fault," maybe a hint of a song called "Window Frame," and even more possibly a song my friend Leo wrote that I performed for his recital last semester. Keep your eyes peeled!

May the zombies spare your brains... for now.

-Sam goldsmith

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments