Sam Goldsmith

A blog about music, travel, writing, photography, politics, Istanbul, teaching, life, and everything in between

Sunday, March 4, 2012

Belated List

Seeing that it's March, I feel like it's time I put out my list of top 10 CDs for 2011. Because I was in Turkey for almost half of 2011 I believe that I have earned the right to be 2 months late with this. Seeing as today is March 4th, it's time to move ahead with whatever is making me feel stuck. happy March Forth, everyone!

Speaking of which, I have a new publication to announce: my short story Cliché Central has been accepted for publication in The Torn Page, a fiction anthology affiliated with the literature magazine Empirical. It should come out later this month, and when it is I'll drop off a link on the blog with more information about it. Keep your ears peeled!

And now, for top music:

1) Tune-Yards: "Who Kill" - It's hard to choose a number one for this year. There were a lot of good CDs but none that really jump out as really amazing. But I felt that this strange indie rock record had some special innovations, a good arc throughout all the songs, and a couple of single-power songs.

2) Bill Callahan: "Apocalypse" - This neo-folk CD is filled with poetry sung by a deep and earthy voice. The songs are all very intricate, combining aspects of folk music with more modern techniques to create a challenging hybrid.

3) TV on the Radio: "Nine Types of Light" - If there were only a single song that stood out this CD would be number 1. My favorite active band combined the new clean sound they've adopted with popularity with their gritty vocal harmonies that made their best records great.

4) SBTRKT: "SBTRKT" - Half of this record is the best music that came out all year. "Never Never" is a song that challenges the way one hears rhythms. With a masterful command of double time, this DJ combined with an adequate lineup of singers to create some valuable dub pop compositions.

5) Foster The People: "Torches" - Most everyone has heard "Pumped Up Kicks," so you know how the rest of the record sounds: just imagine re-writes of that viral song with varying degrees of catchiness.

6) The Roots: "Undun" - Rap with classic verse-chorus form and well-written hooks with an interesting storyline told backwards.

7) Donny McCaslin: "Perpetual Motion" - Holy smokes, a jazz CD! There's a lot of energy on this tenor player's compositions that leave proper room for improvisation, form, and funk.

8) Paul Simon: "So Beautiful or So What" - Paul Simon's lyrics are always great, and here he produces musical compositions to with them that I think I should describe as "nifty." He takes a risk or two as well, starting with a fun Christmas song and ending with the most powerful and positive message. The record wouldn't work any other way.

9) Tom Harrel: "The Time of the Sun" - It was a hard choice between this and "Ninety Miles" featuring my former teacher Stefon Harris. But this recording is more cohesive, features more interesting compositions, and displays a more connected band dynamic from one of the warmest trumpet players out there.

10) Tinariwen: "Tassili" - Even though I much prefer this African group's CD "Aman Iman: Water is Life," "Tassili" offers some interesting surprises, including guest appearances by a brass quartet and the two singers from TV on the Radio. Also, it was recorded in the African desert, an interesting touch that doesn't come through the speakers very well.

And now: here's a sneak peek at what snowy beauties you can expect from posts to come:



1 comment:

  1. Two albums make both our lists this year! Beats last year's zero!

    In all seriousness though, I'm hopping on these. Considering you put it at #1, I really need to give the Tune-Yards album another spin.

    The only album I think I won't try is the Foster The People record. I didn't like "Pumped Up Kicks", so I'm guessing the rest of the album won't do much for me.

    ReplyDelete

Comments