Sam Goldsmith

A blog about music, travel, writing, photography, politics, Istanbul, teaching, life, and everything in between

Monday, October 31, 2011

"Waterfall Negatives"


After my experience with Wahclella Falls the other day I've come to realize that one of my favorite things about waterfalls are the jets of water that shoot down, at the same time coming apart as the waterfall expands or dissolves into mist and coming together in jet streams. It helps to explain why I tend to like waterfalls much better than cascades (when the water falls along the side of a rock or a hill rather than through the air). In light of that I revisited some of my old photos and tried some color editing to isolate some of the waterfall jets like I did for my Wahclella Negative and Horsetail Negative. I think the style really emphasizes what's going on with the water, both how it's jetting (not a fast enough exposure to freeze the water in place except in the case of Courtney's Multnomah Falls photos) and breaking apart into specks of mist. The photos can sometimes look grainy but when I zoom in on them with my computer I can see that it's really a lot of individual water drops. I've also been looking at some of the paintings of Japanese artist Hiroshi Senju, who is famous for his waterfall paintings, like the one at the top of this post. Anyway, with no further ado, I hope you like some of the results of my photography experiments:

Lower Düden Falls

Lower Düden Falls
Lower Düden Falls



Upper Düden Falls

Latourell Falls (Photo by Courtney)

Latourell Falls (Photo by Courtney)

Lower tier of Multnomah Falls as seen above from Benson Bridge (Photo by Courtney)

Lower tier of Multnomah Falls as seen above from Benson Bridge (Photo by Courtney)

Wahkeena Falls

Now before I go, I need to address the current holiday. Yes, today is Halloween, and most of my readers know that I hate Halloween. But this year I have discovered something Halloween-themed that I can get behind! The waterfall that needs no introduction:



Yes, this waterfall is actually called Blood Falls, and it's real. It lives in Antartica, so sadly I'll probably never see it. Iron-oxide mixes with salt water to give it that eerie red hue. One website reports that it's 5 stories tall (compare it to the tent in the lower left-hand corner).

Happy Halloween

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments