Sam Goldsmith

A blog about music, travel, writing, photography, politics, Istanbul, teaching, life, and everything in between

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Along the Springwater Path

As of today, September 1st, 2011, I am a resident in Portland. I picked up my keys today and I'll be moving in tomorrow. Internet will arrive on September 7th. I'll be starting up a garden when I'm settled in a bit.

It feels like such an accomplishment, completely different than apartment hunting in Turkey. In Turkey there was never any doubt that I was going to have a place to live; it was in my contract with the school. I lived in the dormitory until they found a flat, so I didn't have to worry about cramping a friend's style as I've been doing here in Portland for the last couple of weeks. The process of looking at prospective apartments went something like this: the head of the English department and her real estate agent would walk me into a building, talking rapid-fire back and forth in Turkish as I pretended to know what to look for and waited for the key information - price and quality of the kitchen - to come out in English eventually. Eventually I decided on an apartment namely based on appearances and recommendation. The school set up utilities and Internet and showed me how to pay my bills.  

I never had anything to worry about. But this time I had to do everything myself, so it feels like an accomplishment. Good thing there wasn't any Turkish involved or I would've been sunk.

To celebrate I took a nice long bike ride down part of the Springwater Path. The loop is 40 miles long, but I only went for 6.5 miles before breaking away. Enjoy some photos from the excursion:

Tideman Johnson City Park
72nd Ave at Holgate

Tideman Johnson City Park

Where allergies come from... yikes!

Willamette River

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments