Sam Goldsmith

A blog about music, travel, writing, photography, politics, Istanbul, teaching, life, and everything in between

Saturday, March 5, 2011

Hidden Museum

Today I found the Pera Museum, which had been hard to find for some reason (it's not in a difficult location to get to) and had a great time in their galleries. There was an exhibit on historical weights and measures, featuring measuring tools that were used from pre-Roman times and other used in the Ottoman Empire. Another exhibit chronicled Western depictions of Istanbul with a focus on the Orientalization of Turkish women. And the gem of the collection was a temporary exhibit of Frida Kahlo and Diego Rivera works. There were also photographs, a documentary, and pages from Frida's journal, which she apparently edited many times throughout her life and sometimes wrote/drew over, so it doesn't help much as a historical document.

The coolest thing about the museum was that I used all four languages - English, Italian, Spanish, and Turkish - that I have some knowledge of at different parts of the museum. It made me feel so cool!

Also, the forecast says there's a big storm coming (today was beautiful, but, according to a Turkish phrase, a winter's sun is calling the snow) and hopefully with it a snow day! If we get one I'll make a post as I watch snowflakes fall on my surprise vacation. I can't wait!

1 comment:

  1. Did you get the much hoped for snow? I wish I could sign off in four languages.

    ReplyDelete

Comments