Sam Goldsmith

A blog about music, travel, writing, photography, politics, Istanbul, teaching, life, and everything in between

Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Welcome To December! I Give You Maps

Ciao, Tutti!

It feels like it was November only yesterday...

Nanowrimo is officially over, and I want to congratulate everyone who tried their hand at novelling, or even if they brought coffee for someone else who was novelling. It was a lot of fun, and it's not over yet! While I did reach 75,000 words, I am another 30,000 at least from finishing up with my plot. Onward we go!

For you all, I have the gift of the maps of my novel's fantasy world, which I had drawn a while ago but never managed to scan in. If you want to see the images bigger, just click on them. That's all it takes. The city where all the action takes place is called Port Youl, which is in the land of Oriath. I will show the maps in expanding size order:


The city of Port Youl



The land of Oriath. Port Youl is up North. Most of the characters are from the city of Brodaw, in the West.



The World, roughly. Cora, one of the characters, is from East Homeland. Raychel and Tarana's families are from Jerroldia.


The city Port Youl is not actually modeled after San Francisco, even though it has that bay thing. I thought mostly of Genova, Italy, when I drew this up.

My World Map needs another draft.

In other news, I am the Sunday series organizer for Flaming Fire's Eternal Christmas installation project! Yay! I am scheduling all sorts of writing days as we speak, where we will have some dynamite holiday-style fiction and poetry. That starts this Sunday, December 6 at 3:00 and will continue each Sunday until the space closes in early January (that's right: even when I'm not going to be in New York). If you've got a free Sunday afternoon and want to see what's going on, come on by. 525 Atlantic Ave, Brooklyn. Check out the site linked to on the side of the blog.

In addition to the awesome reading going on, the Flaming Fire running band will be performing on a community fair of sorts on December 9, which is a Wednesday. If you're wondering what that means, it's just what it sounds like: a band that runs, singing, down the streets of New York. It will be amazing. The official opening night of the space is this Friday!

If you can't make any of those events, the Flaming Fire full-on performance, which should feature some new music we've been working up for the past month or so, will be on Friday, December 18. And, of course, you can count on me to continue to update with news as it comes my way.

Now, time to stop procrastinating. Back to work!

-Sam goldsmith

P.S. Why can't all holidays be as cool as Thanksgiving? Seriously, I had a great weekend, and I hope you did, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments