Sam Goldsmith

A blog about music, travel, writing, photography, politics, Istanbul, teaching, life, and everything in between

Sunday, November 23, 2008

NANOWRIMO: A Thing Of The Past!

Ciao, Tutti!

I am excited. After spending nearly 30 hours writing this week I have reached the illustrious 50,000 word goal for National Novel Writing Month, Nanowrimo for short. Not only that, but I think the writing itself has been (gasp!) actually pretty good. I'm not quite finished with the plot of the novel, though, and it is only the second of a trilogy, so my work doesn't end quite yet. But I don't have to worry about writing 1667 words each day anymore. Pressure is off! Plus, I get to enjoy Thanksgiving with my family instead of cooping myself up in a room with a laptop and candy bars to keep me going.

So I'll be discontinuing my use of that column on the left-hand side of the blog about my word count. Since all of you care so much...

Speaking of writing, I want to make sure you all read My Brother, the Storyteller, the post I made only a few days ago. Read my brother's short, page-long story, or I'll sic my elephant on you. Please?

All right, I don't have an elephant. He doesn't fit in my dorm room.

In other news, I've posted a new song on my First Regrets myspace page, which can be accessed by clicking the link on the left under Free streaming samples of my music, or by following the link posted below. Some of you may recognize the new song. I may post another as well. We'll see.



For those of you who don't know, the Pistons, Warriors, and Knicks, the three basketball teams I have legitimate claim to call "home" teams, all suck. The Pistons show spurts after force feeding LA its first loss of the season and snapping Cleveland's 8-game win streak over its knee, but we've also been thoroughly schooled by the Celtics (twice), the Suns, and the Timberwolves, a team that has less wins than I have grandparents. The Knicks are finally watchable, but now their tallest player is David Lee, quickly followed by Nate Robinson. Their average rebound count will be lower than the Timberwolves's current win count. And the Warriors are young, stupid, and inconsistent. At least they're not as bad as last year. I guess I have the most hope for them, but Anthony Morrow will have to put together more 37-point games to make it happen.

The one good thing is that all three teams have been involved in early player movement. That is exciting. The only problem is that the Pistons gave up Mark Stein's #3 in the early MVP race behind Kobe and LeBron, and the Knicks gave up their two top scorers and their only player who even knew what a rebound was. The Warriors, at least, were able to ditch their disgruntled forward, Al Harrington, for Jamal Crawford, who should play well in Nellie's system.

I'm just going to have to get used to teams I don't like winning and teams I like losing. Oh, well.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone. If you don't read my brother's story in yesterday's post or listen to the First Regrets songs, then I take it back.

-Sam goldsmith

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments