Sam Goldsmith

A blog about music, travel, writing, photography, politics, Istanbul, teaching, life, and everything in between

Tuesday, November 4, 2008

New Single

Ciao, Tutti!

The First Regrets new single, "Silent Steps," is finally ready to be posted on MySpace! If you check the site within the next hour it should be there. Don't be daunted by a 6:30 minute piece of music. Listening to the whole thing will be totally worth it, I promise, and if you feel I've wasted 6:30 minutes of your life you can write angry letters. Then I would have to ask what you're doing reading my blog for however many minutes each time I post.

http://www.myspace.com/firstregrets

The link is also on the left-hand side of the blog.

I wanted to make one more post before the election results come in because if the world ceases to exist on November 5th I wanted to make sure I said all those things that you say when you have the feeling of impending doom. Things like telling that girl you never had the courage to talk to that you love her. Telling a complete jerk you've always wanted to tell off that he's a complete jerk. To his face.

This is also a time of experimentation. If the world blows up before tomorrow, I'll have never:

a) Had a one-night stand
b) Gotten drunk
c) Done any drugs except Tylenol, but that doesn't count
d) Had a three-some
e) Bungee jumped or sky dived
f) Been invited to the Daily Show as a guest
g) Write a screenplay
h) Juggled swords
i) Walked naked through the streets

I could go on. The point is that I have to get all this accomplished by tonight or my life may never be complete! If the world blows up by tomorrow I will forever be remembered by cockroaches as the boring kid who did none of these things in his pathetic life! So I've got roughly 12 hours. I can do this. Take a deep breath.

I hope you all realize I'm kidding. I would never be invited to the Daily Show.

Before I go I would like to say something about National Novel Writing Month. It is hard to write about eight pages of new material each day while dealing with final essays, election doom and gloom, schoolwork, and, wait, I'm a musician, too, aren't I! The point is it's hard to do. But I'm still ahead of the game and I'm actually feeling pretty good about the direction the novel is taking so far. I hope the world doesn't blow up so I can finish it.

If you have a lot of free time, which I don't, then you should give it a try. It's about a two hour investment each day (really more like one for me, but that's because I don't care so much about the words I'm typing, and three or four hours for my friend Aurora who is a great writer who takes things too slow). If you've got nothing else going on but a TV blasting Fox news, then maybe you should take it up. It's a lot of fun, even if it's exhausting.

I'll continue to update my word count on my blog as long as I'm working on it, even after November ends. Don't forget, the goal for November is 50,000 words.

Okay, no more time to waste. Time to strip naked and run through the streets. Chop chop!

-Sam goldsmith

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments