Sam Goldsmith

A blog about music, travel, writing, photography, politics, Istanbul, teaching, life, and everything in between

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Happiness Comes in the Form Of Mix-Ups and Rants

Ciao, Tutti!

Yeah, there's a lot to talk about. It shouldn't be a problem for a talkative guy like me, so if you find one, let me know.

Bad joke. Heh! Please forgive me, I only slept for about four hours last night.

Those pictures I said I'd talk about but never did




I am a member of an themed residency floor called "starving artists," a group of people that like to see art together and not starve together. Those of you who know me know my anti-social tendencies. So when the floor announced a free lunch of dim sum and a trip to Governor's Island, I figured I would go have the dim sum because it's delicious and then I could say I've done something with the floor and not have to deal with any other obligations. I'm such a wonderful person, aren't I? Please, don't answer that. I even brought reading to do, expecting a crowd of people that I could disappear in.

So I was quite surprised and downcast when I was the only resident who showed up at the meeting point. It was me, the RA (Barrie), the faculty affiliate (Chris) who looks younger than me, his wife, and his mother. Crap. There was no escaping conversation this time. I told them all I brought my backpack for my water bottle to sit in. On top of it all, dim sum was so crowded that we couldn't get a table, so we had to go somewhere else. Curse this good weather that brings people out of their houses!

Chris's mother took us to a Japanese restaurant she knew of instead and taught us how to eat there. Yes, I had to be taught. Because this was different than anything I had ever done before, even Korean barbecue. We were served three bowls of broth set on hot electric burners built into the table. We were given small trays loaded with different raw vegetables, noodles, and uncooked meats. I watched Chris's mother to see what the cue was. The idea was to cook the vegetables and proteins in the soup, then remove them with strainers and put them, cooked and saturated with the flavor of the soup, into our bowls. Afterward, she explained, the soups would have absorbed the flavors of everything we cooked inside and we could drink them.

It was delicious.

And fun.

Actually, anything bad I have to say about the trip basically ends there. We would put little fish bits in our strainers to keep them from being lost in the broth, then eat them a minute later, already fully cooked. There was a ton of food and we barely finished, if you could call it that. There was still a lot of food left in the bowls in the end. I was glad I hadn't eaten breakfast that day, originally anticipating a long dim sum and instead being happy I didn't. And to top it all off, a nice, cool red bean milkshake.

After that we bade farewell to Chris's mother and took off for Governor's Island on the free ferry. Not sleeping had caught up to me and I took a power nap, but I did not miss the view of each of the four Manhattan Waterfalls on their last day in operation. I think I've got some pictures of those, too... Yeah, I do, but you have to look carefully. There are three in this picture. The fourth is at the top of this section.



Anyhoo, Barrie and I rented bikes and rode around the island and I forgot how to break by pedaling backwards. We didn't have very much time on the island because of our long lunch, but there were some pretty views. Unfortunately I couldn't get a good picture of the Statue of Liberty because of where the sun was in the sky. We returned on Manhattan and went to the ice cream factory in Chinatown, so just when my stomach stopped feeling numb I was shoving more food down.

So it was worth it in the end. And beginning. I'm just a grumpy person, but if you push me the right way things work out in the end.

Last Friday I bumped into Barrie again just as she was about to take the floor out to a deli for dinner, so I decided to forgo dining hall food and follow. For some reason these excursions don't get much of a following. Could it be that everyone else on the floor is as anti-social as I am? Either way, I got to repeat the tradition of eating too much, this case being about a pound of meat shoved between two slivers of bread eaten under a sign pointing out where Harry met Sally. We talked about people getting arrested for graffiti as I watched my clock to make sure I wasn't late for my roommate's concert.

So, there you have it. That's what those pictures are about. Do I get to talk about what pisses me off yet?

Happiness Chronicles

This title should be taken sarcastically. I am really thinking of three things that are really pissing me off right now, and none of them are about the election! Wow, fancy that! Obama's lead must be getting to me.

1) Laundry at 2nd Street Residence. You all don't want to hear about this, but I have to say something about NYU nickle and diming us like they're an airline company or something. I am fine with paying $1.75 a load, 3.50 total, assuming you do colors and whites together. That is honest highway robbery (actually I've heard that price isn't so bad). But we also have to buy these strange cards in order to use the machines, and, guess what, the cards won't let you buy an amount divisible by 1.75. So no matter what we will be paying more than we will actually be using.

Why they can't just let us use quarters is beyond me. Actually, it's not. They make more money this way. And it pisses me off.

Let me tell you how much NYU needs the extra money. We received an email at the beginning of the year saying that NYU had the goal of raising a million dollars each day for the past seven years - and they surpassed it! We've got the highest tuition and are located in the highest cost of living in just about anywhere in the world. I don't have the numbers to prove it, but I don't really need them. Meanwhile Ivy League schools are giving full rides to students whose families make less than $100,000 in a year. NYU instead insists of raising tuition and cutting merit scholarships, a policy they announced last year while I was in Florence. No one else seems to get mad about this. They're all used to it.

Seriously, why does NYU need this money so much? For my $350 per night hotel room in New Orleans? For John Sexton's yacht? Obviously it's not going to a better jazz building with anything resembling soundproofing or enough practice rooms for all of us that are open 24 hours each day.

Anyway, the point is that if they want to take my money they shouldn't resort to dirty little tricks like stealing my laundry money.

2) University of California Press. I was reading Paul Farmer's book, "Pathologies of Power," for my class, only to discover that pages 155-202 had been left out and pages 203-250 had been printed twice. Unfortunately for me, this meant that the introduction to the analysis portion of the book was left out, and I was left to read the end without anything contextualizing to help me out. very frustrating.

After class the professor and another student with my issue went to the bookstore to replace the texts, which was surprisingly easily done, but I had to leave my copy of the book with all my notes so that the school could send it to the publisher and demand their money back. So now I am left fifty pages behind in the reading and without notes. Oh, and the first draft of the paper is due Tuesday.

Now, please, a moment of silence for my notes.

3) I still can't sleep very well. I won't complain too much because I feel fine and because if I complain too much people will start to worry, or, even worse, start to offer advice. It's just annoying how I could wake up at 5:45 every day last summer no sweat and now I have to drag myself out of bed at 9:00. Something's wrong with this picture.

General Housekeeping... Stuff

I figured you'd all appreciate a blog about something other than the election. Here are a few grab bag items I would like to mention:

1) In general music has slowed down for me, but I have started a band with my friends from Florence Megan and Jordan (I have mentioned this before) and it is really coming along. Megan and I are contributing a lot of music and we each play basically all the instruments we need as well as sing. That's right, folks, I can sing, and I can sing a lot better than I sang LCD Soundsystem's "New York I Love You But You're Bringing Me Down" at my show last month. And I even know how to write lyrics, too! Keep an eye out for us because I'm about to prove all this as soon as we get the chance.

2) Nanowrimo, short for National Novel Writing Month, is coming up this November. In short, it is like a game where people try to write 50,000 words of fiction during the space of one month. This boils down to about 1667 words per day, which is about 5 and a half pages double spaced. For me, this takes about an hour each day. I succeeded easily two years ago and failed last year when my computer crashed and I lost 30,000 words.

As you probably already know, last January I started writing a trilogy, the first book of which I just finished the first draft to (476 pages, 145,000 words). My plan is to continue this novelling spree come November, but until then I am left with nothing to do but edit and write short fiction.

What does this all mean? First of all, when we get to November I will probably not post many blogs. My writing mind will be elsewhere. If you see a blog it means I have either given up or, much more likely, am far ahead of the game. Secondly, I have started writing short fiction again in my excited anticipation of November. So you can expect a couple blogs in the near future to be stories I've written. Just to vary things up a little bit for you guys.

3) Vote. Please.

4) The High School Law Institute, the organization I teach Constitutional law in, has been going rather well. One of my team teachers is the head of the ConLaw curriculum, and between him and the other law student who went to Teach for America, we have a pretty formidable team. I am getting better on being able to tell where I fit in the discussions, especially when there is something historical to bring up.

I do have the one problem of the kid who is much better than me at this. I come into class last Saturday and he asks me what I thought of the ruling in Ohio over the weekend. I told him I hadn't seen it, what was it? It had something to do with voter fraud and ACORN (by the way, speaking of ACORN, my Power and Poverty professor just spent a great deal of time praising their research on poverty and race issues in America), and we launched into a discussion before class about why registering Mickey Mouse did not mean that Mickey Mouse was actually going to go to the polls and vote. Voter fraud from ACORN's shenanigans: 0. But this kid knew his stuff. He's probably more qualified to teach the class than I am.

Okay, time for a nap.

-Sam goldsmith

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments