Sam Goldsmith

A blog about music, travel, writing, photography, politics, Istanbul, teaching, life, and everything in between

Friday, October 24, 2008

Art Sharing Day

Ciao, Tutti!

I have some things to share with you. Two things, specifically.

1) I have opened a MySpace page for First Regrets so you can all hear the songs I've been working on here in New York. http://www.myspace.com/firstregrets is where you can find three of the seven songs I have been working on. Trust me, you'll like them. You'll want to take them home with you. Ah, aren't portable personal computers nice? Feel free to listen as much as you want and feel encouraged to pass the word on/brag to your friends on my behalf.

Take that, everyone who said I can't sing! That would probably just be my brother... So take that, my brother! Hm, it doesn't seem to carry so much weight when I say it like that...

2) I have a short fiction to share with you. This is a new thing I'm trying: A fiction blog! I've been writing a lot of short fiction pieces lately. I think I've written six in the past week, actually, although this is the only one that's made it to the second draft. The reason for this treason is that a lot of the stories I've been writing involve characters I didn't make up, so I could get in trouble if they go online. I'll see if I can figure out a way to make them more generic.

And so, without further ado:

Cliche Central

This story is being published in Cool Waters' literature anthology The Torn Page due to come out mid-March, 2012. I have removed the story to avoid copyright conflicts.

I've been writing a lot in first person lately, which is something I generally don't do. Not only that, but when I write in first person the narrator character has always been, well, me. And not me the musician or me the music student at NYU or me the brother or me the person living in New York City whose heart is still in the San Francisco Bay. I've been writing about me the writer. Hence this short piece. Actually, I seem to be caught up in writing about avoiding cliches. I wonder why this is. Perhaps I can figure it out in a dream sequence where I wake up in the middle of the night, sweat pouring down my face and heart beating, only to whisper to myself, "It was only a dream, it was only a dream."

Yeah. That wouldn't be cliche at all. Yeah...

Anyway, let me know what you think. It's only the second draft, so feel free to make whatever editing suggestions you wish. You can send me an email or just comment right on the blog if you want. I'm really open!

I hope you're all doing well.

-Sam goldsmith

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments