Sam Goldsmith

A blog about music, travel, writing, photography, politics, Istanbul, teaching, life, and everything in between

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Before and After the Wedding

Greg Mulford
 My family and I have just returned home from my cousin Andrew's wedding - and what a wedding it was! It was on a public beach, complete with the sandy children with their boogie boards and a sunglasses-wearing man probing the sand with a metal detector in the background. The groom put on his ring while wearing sunglasses and sneakers, and the bridesmaids and groomsmen didn't wear shoes at all. And within this layer of fun and childlike joy there was also a serious sweetness, quite a few tears, quite a few more cheers, and a wealth of good wishes and good feelings going forward. Congratulations Andrew and Lindsey!
My brother Joel and his sunburn

Bert, Joel, and my father

Nana and Great Aunt Bea under the blanket... it was a cold evening!
 I didn't take many pictures of the event because there were professionals running rampant all over the place so there wasn't much of a need. All the pictures you see here were taken at the dinner on the night before the wedding.

Now I'm preparing to take a trip into Detroit to visit the rest of my family, leaving no stone unturned! Next time I write it will probably be from the motor city.

Dad posing for his book cover
Nana and myself, or as I like to say, "Homie G(rannie) and the pimpin' pop top"
And finally - how could I have forgotten this? - I failed to mention in my Portland posts about my trip to the TV on the Radio concert. I wasn't expecting much because when I saw them in Oakland after the release of "Dear Science" the show wasn't that great. But they nailed it on this tour. I was most impressed that they played a lot of their old music, waiting until the third song to play something from their newest project, "Nine Types Of Light" (the second song, a southern-rocking-feel version of "Wrong Way," left many in the crowd in the outdoor venue standing around wondering if it was a cover, but I was geeking out over how utterly amazing it was). They ended up only play about half of the new record, which was great because it left room for "Young Liars" (another geek-out moment) and the encore set finisher, "Satellite" (my heart geeking all over the grass). It was ridiculously fun. This is a tour worth seeing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments