Sam Goldsmith

A blog about music, travel, writing, photography, politics, Istanbul, teaching, life, and everything in between

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Little Music Update

While I work on the next chapter detailing my recent travels within Turkey, I thought I would share four pieces of music-related news with you.

1) TV On The Radio, one of my two favorite bands ever to exist, has announced that they're coming out with an album called "Nine Types Of Light" sometime this spring. Thank goodness. When they announced their hiatus last year I was afraid it would stick.

2) Radiohead defied Thom Yorke's insistence that the band would never release another album by putting out "King Of Limbs" for digital download and live streaming here yesterday. The record is apparently the first ever "newspaper album," which probably means that when the hard copy release comes out on March 29 the liner notes package will probably be epic. It sounds like my kind of thing, but it might exceed a teacher's salary's capacity. And besides, I'm listening to the stream right now and sadly I'm not too impressed. It's kind of boring. But, hey, it's Radiohead. Every time you listen to them they just get better, so I'll definitely give it the chances it's due.

3) I've gotten back to work on my own record now that I'm back off vacation, and I'm working up a couple songs to post on the First Regrets page. You might be surprised at what you hear, so keep an ear to the ground. In addition, I'm re-editing the previous tracks and will be posting the improved versions on the site as well, without telling anyone beforehand.

4) I don't know of this counts as "music-related," but it seems that Justin Bieber won the MVP for the NBA all-star celebrity game. He had 8 points and missed a three at the lass second that could have tied the game (yes, folks, his team lost and yet he still won MVP). He also had 4 assists and a pair of rebounds. Meanwhile, on the winning team Scottie Pippen got 17 points and an impressive block on Bieber. So how the hell didn't he win the MVP??? Though I'm not all that upset about this meaningless game, and I'm used to Justin Bieber getting more credit than he's due. For example, people give him credit for making music when, in fact, he's just an underage entertainer. Even the people running the Grammys knew that.

Check out these pictures of our celebrity MVP. He looks 12 at the most.

Okay, out to get breakfast, make some music, and slowly recover from my welcome-back cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments