Sam Goldsmith

A blog about music, travel, writing, photography, politics, Istanbul, teaching, life, and everything in between

Friday, March 26, 2010

Sam Goldsmith's Index of Things That (Probably) Will and Will Not Happen

Ciao, Tutti!

For all those who are huddled in anticipation of the release of my post-graduation plans, I've compiled a list of probablies regarding ideas I'd been having and goals I've wished to pursue. Seriously, though, being asked what I plan to do after school is simultaneously the most stressful, exciting, and trite question in the entire world... it fills me with mixed feelings.

But what I want to do most of all is heroine... wait, did I spell it like a drug or a female hero?

That's a terrible pun, folks. Don't write like me.

Index of Probablies

WILL: Have my first East Coast Passover Seder with my cousin Alana and her friends and family.

WILL NOT: Tour Europe with Flaming Fire.

WILL NOT: Stay in New York for any part of the summer.

WILL: Begin classes for my TESOL certification in order to teach English abroad, starting May 10th.

WILL NOT: Attend NYU graduation ceremonies, which start May 11.

WILL: Walk the 13-mile-or-so length of Manhattan Island before I leave New York, even though my mother has an irrational fear that it is unsafe.

WILL NOT: Get mugged. Seriously.

WILL: Have my best semester academically ever, again.

WILL: Play pieces in at least two other people's recitals.

WILL NOT: Work at summer camp in El Cerrito as I have the past 3 summers, at least for the same amount of time as in the past. It's looking more and more like I don't have the 8 weeks I need to commit to be a full-time counselor.

WILL: Travel, within the states. I think my friend Courtney has gotten to me. I have events that would take me to Michigan, North Carolina, Yosemite, and even back to ugly old New York City.

WILL NOT: Ever warm up to New York City.

WILL: Continue to submit short stories, now to non-NYU affiliated journals. Opium and Bellevue Literary Reviews seem like good starting points, especially the BLR's contest.

WILL NOT: Know how I fared in the BLR's contest until December of this year.

WILL: Begin applying for English teaching jobs in Istanbul, Turkey, starting June.

WILL: Move to Turkey in mid-late August to stay for the year.

WILL: Apply for graduate school at some point once I'm done teaching in Turkey.

WILL NOT: Think farther ahead than that.

WILL NOT: Give Dr. Schroeder the benefit of the doubt anymore.

WILL NOT: Look back with regret.



-Sam goldsmith

1 comment:

Comments