Sam Goldsmith

A blog about music, travel, writing, photography, politics, Istanbul, teaching, life, and everything in between

Friday, February 5, 2010

Some News About History and Music

Ciao, Tutti!

Long time no see.

Even though I've been away for a while now I don't have all that much to say. I don't have any short stories that are polished enough to share, and Flaming Fire has been on hiatus as our leader copes with his newborn. Still, as the first post I'm making in 2010, I feel I should start with a bang. So here it is:

1) Recital Mania!

My recital date has been given to me finally! That's the good news. Bad news is they gave me the one day I wanted least: March 7, at 6:00. That's a Sunday, when I knew some members of the family wouldn't be able to make it. On the plus side, though, my cellist wouldn't have been able to perform on the 6th, the day I wanted. How 'bout them apples, destiny?

I am currently wrapping up the music creation part of the program with my wonderful teacher Gil Goldstein, which promises to be a set of 12 pieces like none other. It will feature approximately 15 different performers, which, incidentally, would have probably been my only audience. But I don't care. This is Sparta. Or something.

It will feature:

- Me (Vibes, piano, bass, vocals, compositions, arrangements)
- The Inspiration Sextet with special guest Julian Waterfall Pollack on Piano
- The 4-string Trio
- Guest Conductor and Composer Leo Birenberg
- Special Guest Greg Englar on Guitar Insanity
- Owl Eyes

It is located in room 779 (they screwed me with the worst room, too) of 25 West 4th street, Manhattan, New York, 10003, in some universe or another.

2) First Ever Real Publication!

About a week ago I received word that my essay about the shape of Costa Rican nationalism in 1921 has been accepted into "The Historian," the NYU undergraduate history journal! I'm still giddy just thinking about it. I've been working with an editor throughout the month of February and will submit a final draft by the end of the month. Hopefully the publication will be available to the public sometime in April!

Who knew my first publication would be a history paper and not a short story? Speaking of which, I'm still waiting for word from the NYU creative writing journal, which I am expecting to hear from in March, as well as the Re:Write Review, which sort of runs on its own schedule. Now that I'm done novelling for a while I should be able to devote some more meaningful attention to my short stories, I hope...

3) Good Times

I don't actually have anything else leaping to mind to share with all ye good lot. Hope everything is going well for you all, and be sure not to burn the chicken.

-Sam goldsmith

1 comment:

  1. Glad your back blogging. Hope you hear thumbs up on your short story.

    ReplyDelete

Comments