Sam Goldsmith

A blog about music, travel, writing, photography, politics, Istanbul, teaching, life, and everything in between

Wednesday, December 10, 2008

3 Classes

Ciao, Tutti!

3. Count them. Won, too, three. 3. Threeeee. That's how many classes I finished up with today. Yeah. I know. I'm awesome.

1) Music History 3 final. Check. A ton of memorization of music I've never heard of before plus obscure facts about odd historical tidbits and German names couldn't deter me. I'd be shocked if I got worse than 97 on the 100-question test. Even if I got an 85 I'd still have a solid A in the class. And I didn't even know what Liszt's "Mazeppa" sounded like until this afternoon. Huh.

2) Power and Poverty. Check. My favorite class of the term, as well as the most demanding. I wrote five drafts of this essay, and I have to admit that I'm moderately proud of it. I'm taking a research-themed class with the same instructor next semester, and I'm looking forward to it. I need exactly 39/40 percent on this paper to get an A- in the class, so there's not much pressure or hope for the golden letter. Either way, I think I got a lot out of the class. That's what's important, no? A B+ isn't so bad... I'll be turning in the paper tomorrow morning.

3) Jazz Arranging. Check. One of the worst class experiences of my life. I can say that now that it's over, but Ralph Alessi, my instructor for the ensemble immediately following it, could probably tell from my frequent venting. One of the leading contributors for me to hate classic jazz. I didn't hate it before. Now it just pisses me off. Thanks, Dave Schroeder. So I dug in and finished this chart I never wanted to write in the first place, its form sadly dictated to me by the constrictive assignment. I tried my best to be original, but I don't know... At least it's finished. I'll see Dr. Dave tomorrow and finalize it, print it out, and turn it in so it can be recorded on the 20th.

So what's left? Just one course, but it's a monster. For my uninspiring Egypt course I have to write 2 5-page research papers. Problem is the sources have largely been missing. Long story short, I have both a lot of reading and a lot of writing to do in the next four days to get it in on Monday at 12:00. I've worked out a plan, but I'm really not looking forward to the work, especially because of how bored I am by the subject. We're done with the pyramids, and the professor is not very good at sparking interest. The readings are similarly bland. So I plan on being very bored for about too many hours each until Monday.

And then, I leave. Bye, New York. I'm going home!

I can't wait.

In the meantime, no time to write. I can blog because I'm excited about getting three classes done. But no short stories. I've got two 200-word stories , but I need to edit them. Not happening anytime soon. Maybe on the airplane ride back home, if I'm not too exhausted. Anyway, don't expect much from me until I get home. Tuesday, I'd guess.

And Sam goldsmith has to log off now so he can start his mountain of reading. Yay!

-Sam goldsmith

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments