Sam Goldsmith

A blog about music, travel, writing, photography, politics, Istanbul, teaching, life, and everything in between

Sunday, May 6, 2012

Portland Night Photographs

Self portrait


I had been waiting for a dry night when I could take photos along the East Bank of the Willamette River after teaching Saturday guitar lessons, but I didn't expect that opportunity to come on Cinco de Mayo while a super moon was out. Let me explain: a super moon is when the the moon's orbit draws it closer to earth than it ever gets, plus it's full. It looks about 14% larger and shines about 30% brighter.

What this meant for me was that the photographers were out in throngs! I thought I would have most of the city skyline to myself, but because of the Cinco de Mayo festival and the unique moon I could barely bike down the East Bank Esplinade without knocking a tripod over. I didn't get any good shots of the super moon, but here are some of the city shots I managed:

A little orchard looks out on the Willamette River, and some vignette after photo processing. 3 minute exposure with a circular polarizing lens.

Looking at the Cinco de Mayo festival through the Morrison Bridge. This is the longest exposure of the night at 3 minutes and 12 seconds.
That boat is famous among Portland based photographers for being so photogenic.

Another shot of the Morrison Bridge.

Another self portrait. This was the shortest exposure of the night at 1 minute and 14 seconds.
Which looks better: color, black and white, or sepia?








1 comment:

Comments