Sam Goldsmith

A blog about music, travel, writing, photography, politics, Istanbul, teaching, life, and everything in between

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

First Photos from Portland

For the last few days my computer has been in the shop to fix a persistent freezing problem it's been having for the past year. Thankfully it seems like it's cleared up now, though the ordeal has made the Portland Apple Store my most-oft-visited place in Portland. I feel like I'm one of them. I know the geniuses at the table and I know a little bit more about their schedules, how they rotate between checking people in and helping people and learning about the ever-updating techniques for helping customers. I've seen the little tutorial video they show as you wait for your appointment hundreds of times, though my heart still soars every time I see the grammar mistake along the lines of: "If you have an appointment, let us know you're here. If you don't, we'll try and set one up for you."

View on the flight from Oakland to San Francisco















Portland itself is very pretty right now. Apparently the rainy days stopped just before I got here, so allergies have been a major problem for the locals (not for me, though, because I'm that cool). Yesterday during an all-day, all-ages electronic music party in Cathedral Park white pollen blew through the air like a snow storm. But the sun's out, in general, and at the right points in the city you can see the snow-capped Mount Hood (in the photograph above, 11,240 feet tall).

Kalmia, the 5-year-old who lives in the house where I'm staying

 
Kalmia biking down her neighborhood street after running into friends

Cathedral Bridge and the DJ all-day all-ages concert that took place there on Sunday

Cathedral Park

Cathedral Park

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments