Sam Goldsmith

A blog about music, travel, writing, photography, politics, Istanbul, teaching, life, and everything in between

Monday, October 4, 2010

The NANOWRIMO Question

It's about that time of year again. As we rapidly approach November I have to gather my thoughts on the novel I want to write during that month. Soon it will be National Novel Writing Month, and I need a plan. One month, 50,000 words of pure, unadulterated fiction. I've tried four times, failed once, and never gave up without trying ever since I learned about it.

But this year might be different. With all the work I've got at school I don't know if I've got the time or mental energy to put together a novel. It says something that I could double major in college, be an honors student every year and graduate with honors, and write novels in November with no trouble, but send me back to elementary school and I don't know if I've got the metal.

But more importantly, the first draft of my trilogy, "The Unseen Tree," is complete. I spent half of my Nanowrimo novels working on it, a plot I'd had floating in my mind for around 10 years now. Now, if I want to write a new novel, I'd have to think of a new plot. And I don't even have any revisions of any of the books in the trilogy yet! I have to decide whether I want to leave it behind for a while and try something new for the sake of Nanowrimo tradition, or to see this trilogy through to the end.

It's a difficult decision. Does anyone else want to write my novel for me?

1 comment:

  1. I would think that you have plots whirling around in your infinite mind. Look at all your new inspiration.

    But really, maybe you should wait until the dust settles and take on a new story when you have a formed idea. Maybe have November in June. It two has 30 days too.

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete

Comments